THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Friday, 8 April 2011

Interview with the Vampire

Hi everyone, I'm back <3

Unfortunately I'm very sleepy and bleh from working too many hours for DEFINITELY too little pay (I'm a volunteer) but I have returned victorious with some new tops, a sunhat with a socking great raven feather in it, and a cream-coloured lacy bustle skirt. On the cheap. (I know you guys don't care about my shopping. But I like to tell you. So just smile and nod until you get to the end of the paragraph, OK?)

Parajunkee's View Vampire Reading Challenge #6 - Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice

Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise as Louis and Lestat in the movie adaptation
Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles have been considered a Gothy reading material staple for a good couple of decades now, although there is hot debate in the scene about whether reading about the melodramatic, supernatural antics of Lestat, Louis, Armand et al is a) a massive cliche (well, yes, of course it is. That's half the fun), b) hugely overrated (the Goth Cabal jury has not yet reached a final decision) or c) practically a requirement (not exactly).

Overrated cliche, you say? Speaking personally, I say phooey. I'm not exactly a Vamp Chronicles obsessive, but my heart belongs to Louis and I would gnaw off my own arm for an all-expenses-paid trip to New Orleans. Where I would spend my time wandering in the cemeteries, posing for photos outside Ms Rice's not-so-humble abode, and running about the humid streets going "Ohmigod, ohmigod, this is where Lestat lives in the book!" Bite me.

Now that I have managed to get two paragraphs into a book review without actually telling you anything about the book, we shall begin.

Interview with the Vampire is often described as a classic work of horror fiction (yes, really, haters), athough I'm not sure who would actually find it scary. It is the 'true' story of the life and undeath of vampire Louis du Point du Lac, originally a New Orleans plantation owner, who tells his story to a young journalist with all the cynicism and despair of one who has lived a couple of centuries steeped in what he believes is 'evil' and goes on living without any further hope of redemption.

Louis's story sets the stage for further Chronicles, introducing many of the unforgettable, charismatic cast who have captured the hearts of numerous Goth girls since the late 1980s. Blonde, charismatic, devil-may-care Lestat de Lioncourt is Louis's maker; he may be selfish and narcissistic but he is loveable nonetheless. Unlike Louis, who spends a lot of time wallowing in angst and guilt, Lestat is fierce and wild and carefree. There is something almost instinctual in his pursuit of hedonistic pleasures, and his dandified manner stands in great contrast to the great delight he takes in his position at the head of the food chain.

Claudia is the child vampire created by Lestat and a reluctant Louis - cold and calculating evil beneath a mask of innocence, she has Lestat's predatory nature and Louis's thirst for knowledge. It is Claudia's creation that begins to chip away at Louis's humanity, and his love for her that drives him to condone and even take part in acts that degrade it further still.

This is a story about real vampires; preternatural predators who no longer remember nor care what it means to be a mortal. They are capricious, passionate, and above all, dangerous. I would like to say that it's action-packed, but that gives the wrong impression - there are no gunfights, car chases or cheap thrills, but there is violence, and murder, and eroticism, and tension, and betrayal.

For me the best thing about this book is Anne Rice's prose; the rhythm of it is almost hypnotic, and each page brims with lush description without becoming self-indulgent or pompously long-winded. It lulls the reader into a decadent waking dream, where Rice's vampires are just as real - if not more so - than the physical world.

13 comments:

CatacombKitten said...

Great review, I really liked Interview with the Vampire, too. I probably should read more of the Vampire Chronicles.

Julietslace said...

I actually prefer the book over the movie, most people seem to prefer the movie. Ps, I sent the guest post to your email, I nearly forgot again!

In the Darkness said...

A friend of mine recently visited New Orleans... Anyway, vampires might not be my thing, but nice reiview.

Emily Lynn G. said...

I LOVED Lestat so much more then Luis, Luis was to weepy for me.(Sorry Amy!) But as a duo they are amazing. And I LOVED CLAUDIA, and everybody!
WHAT?? Who preferred the movie?? The book was way better!!
Anyway I love the series (still haven't finished, have put it on the back burner) and Rice's writing is a rare Gothic jewel. Servant Of The Bones, can't stress that book to you enough!

Pixie said...

As much as I loved Interview with the Vampire, I loved the Vampire Lestat more. I hated Queen of the Damned, though.

Black_Lilly said...

I agree with Pixie, although I am still part way through The Queen of the Damned, having had to read all the Lit books in between. Although I'd say that hated is a too strong a word for me. More like not enjoyed. The Vampire Lestat was my favourite. I haven't bought any of the newer one yet, but I intend to.

SaryWalrus said...

All I can say is: Lestat! -froths-

Great review and amazing book!

Becky said...

You know, I never have gotten around to reading Anne Rice. A project for the future. Very nice review.

OpiateVampire said...

I've read (and own) every supernatural book she's ever written. I'm an Armand fangirl, myself ;D
Anne Rice is totally the reason I went to NOLA last year. It was magical! Lafayette Cemetery is amazing, if you've read her Mayfair Witches books, it features prominently in them. Her house is quite near it too.
I actually planned the 5-day trip myself, with my boyfriend, we stayed in a hostel and did the whole thing for about $300. Best spring break ever 8D

ultimategothguide said...

@ Emily Lynn - love Servant of the Bones, currently my fave Rice book ^^

@ Juliet's Lace - I haven't received it, otherwise I would have posted it today =( I will drop by and leave my top secret private e-mail...

Anonymous said...

I loved Interview with a vampire but the rest of the series annoyed me.Lesat is just too selfish and exasperating to be a narrator and the religion stuff is not my kind of thing and i prefer the vivid descriptions of the past to the modern day setting.

Kitty Lovett; A Charming Notion said...

"I always wanted to go to New Orleans, but I couldn't, because, you know, vampires." -Hugh Laurie.

Anonymous said...

On your blog is says goth and "dark culture" is death metal like Cannibal Corpse lovers and complete metalheads included in that?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...